The Scientific name of maize is Zea mays L. It belongs to the poaece family. In Urdu, it is called as Makai. In Punjabi, it is called as Maki. It is the third largest crop of Pakistan after wheat and rice.
Properties of maize:
Maize is an annual plant. It is a short day plant therefore it needs
Importance Of maize:
- It is the 3rd major cereal crop after (WHEAT & RICE).
- It is used as
freshand dried fodder.
- Maize contains 85 % CHO & 5-7 % OIL.
is usef ormaking corn oil, pop corn, entergileetc.
- Its grains are used as flour. It
isfor making bread use ,soupsetc.
- MIN. TEMP. = 10 °C
- OPT. TEMP. = 16-18 °C
- It is sensitive to a very high temperature.
- Leaf burn in May-June (hot winds).
- It prefers high humidity.
- It is drought resistance at the early stages.
(compared with grain development stage)
- It grows well in medium textured well
- Can’t be grown in dry and sandy soil.
- It is sensitive to salinity.
Mid Januaryto End February
- AUTUMN (SEASONAL):
- 1 st week of July to 10th August
- Early maturing varieties can be sown up to 20th August
- Its seed rate is 8 – 10 Kg per Acre
Critical growth stages:
- Seedling stage
- Grand growth stage
- Tasseling stage
- Silking stage
- Soft dough Stage
- Hard dough stage
- Short duration varieties mature in 90 DAYS.
ongduration varitiesmatures in 120 DAYS
- Cob changes colour and grains become hard.
additionthe silk becomebrown. SILK BECOMES BROWN
- Cobs are store in heaves for 3-4 DAYS.
The hybrids of maize are high yielding and therefore they produce more than 120 munds per acre. However, the yield of local varieties is 40 to 50 munds per acre.
- 3-4 Days After Germination
- 7-10 days interval in light soils
- 10-15 days interval in heavy soils FLOWERING & FERTILIZATION
- 2 days dryness 20 % yield reduction
1 weekdryness 50 % yield reduction
- SARHAD SUFAID
- SARHAD ZARD
- JALAL 2003
- SAHIWAL 2002
- MMRI YELLOW